Expenditure: INR 1800/-
Duration: 2 days
Ever wondered about how you can reach the famous Prashar lake and if it is a trek you can pursue? Don’t worry because you will find all the information below about this famous hill station in India and how you can reach it in the least possible budget.
Prashar Lake Trek Guide
About Prashar Lake
- Firstly, it is a beautiful and secluded place and not many people travel to this place. In fact, the day we reached we saw just a couple of people roaming around and most of the tents were empty. So, if you are looking for some peace and alone time, this place is perfect for just that.
- Secondly, this place is completely bewitching at night, especially on the night of a full moon. We were lucky that our stay coincided with a full moon night as the sky looked so beautiful with a lone moon in the dark sky and several twinkling stars keeping it company, making us wish that we could stay here forever.
- Thirdly, the sunset and sunrise from this hill is really something you need to witness once in your life. As the sun sets behind one of the hills, the whole hill is lighted up in the form of a halo and you would feel like you have just reached heaven. Yes, it is that magical. The sunset is equally mesmerizing as the first rays of the sun peek out from behind the clouds and wash away the whole place in a golden hue.
- Fourthly, the trek here is a new experience. It might not be overly exerting or hard like other treks but it is a little challenging as you need to climb up the steep hill for 3-4 hours to reach the lake and the meadow on the way is a must-stop place to witness the beauty of the surrounding mountains.
- The fifth reason to visit this place is to hear the stories about this place and talk to the locals. We talked to a few locals and they told us a few really interesting stories. In fact, if you would have noticed in a lot of photos, the small mound of land which lies inside this lake seems to change positions frequently. Don’t believe us? We have a few photos and a few stories which confirm the mysteriousness of this lake.
How to reach Prashar Lake
Price: Ordinary Bus – INR 525/-, Semi-Deluxe/Volvo – INR 546/- and INR /-1072
About The Prashar Lake Trek
Beware of the Earthworms and Leeches
Prashar Lake Trek Timings
Perfect Timing: Leave by 11 a.m for ascent, Leave by 9 a.m. for the descent
Total time for trekking: 3-4 hours
Best time to Visit Prashar Lake
Our recommendation: After Monsoons (September – February)
Prashar can be visited all round the year but it is especially beautiful just after the monsoons and during the snowfall. Although you won’t find much encouragement during snowfall as the trekking is a little hard but still, a lot of people make their way to this beautiful abode. If you are looking to spend some time during the lush greenery, then we would suggest you go just immediately after monsoons.
Where to Stay at Prashar Lake
Our recommendation: Camping beside the Prashar lake
Food and Other Things
Take snacks and chocolates. You can take Maggi and Wai Wai too.
At Prashar, you would find sufficient eating places but they have limited options. You would get Rajma Chawla and a few other dishes here, so don’t expect too much. Rajma Chawla is actually pretty great over here so, do try it.
You can also take your own Maggi or Wai Wai and ask them to prepare it for you. They would take some service charge for it but they would do it for you.
Things to Carry with You
- Warm clothes
- Extra layers of clothing
- Warm socks
- Trekking shoes
- Warm jacket
- Warm pants
- Extra batteries for the camera
- Power bank for phone
- Warm blanket for sleeping(1 for each person)
- Warm mat(For placing beneath you as the ground is pretty cold)
Interesting Stories about Prashar Lake
- This place was the place where Prashar rishi used to meditate. And this lake held the demons who used to try to enter this world. This Rishi had a faithful devotee who volunteered to go into the lake and kill the demons. As the water started overflowing and started to threaten to drown this place, he went into the lake and didn’t come out for another 4-5 days. No one knew if he was dead or alive. Finally, on the fifth day, he arrived and the lake’s water receded back. From then on, he stayed with Prashar rishi here and made the Pagoda-like temple in his honor.
- No one knows the depth of this lake. Many people have tried to find out the depth but all have failed. In fact, once a few people came with all the measuring devices and a long rope but they still couldn’t figure out the depth.
- No one is allowed to go inside the lake and stand on that small mound of the lake as it is a holy lake. Once a couple came and the lady wished to get her picture clicked while standing on that small piece of land but when she stepped on it, she fell down inside the water and her husband barely managed to pull her back. Since then this lake has been surrounded with fences to protect both the lake and the people from it.
- The small mound of land in between the lake moves according to the climate. When it is going to be a bad weather, it moves to the left side of the temple. And when it is going to be warm, it moves to the right side. In fact, we ourselves witnessed it moving from left side to right side and then back again. No one knows why it happens.
Please Note: These are all the stories told to us by the locals to us. We don’t claim these to be 100% true.
Important Note: If you are female travelers, you don’t need to worry much. Prashar is a safe place for female travelers and you can stay in a tent without much issue.